Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Arrival!

Friends!

I am currently writing to you from the computer room of Homerton College, in Cambridge, England. Until they have the internet up and running on my computer (which might be a few days), I won't have any pictures, but the place is gorgeous (and quite cold, and a bit rainy - but really beautiful).

We avoided all any major travel mishaps - J. and I met up with everyone except Anna in DC, and then once we landed in London, we found her pretty quickly in the airport. The journey to Cambridge even went pretty smoothly, minus an hour and a half delay. But, we arrived with enough daylight to get settled and see a bit of the city, and hopefully, an early night in - it looks like there is a lot to do tomorrow!

As I said, so far, England is really pretty and the people have been very friendly and helpful. It is surprisingly cold here, but the porters of the college (who resemble charming security guards) have promised me it is only a cold snap and that Cambridge should warm up again before winter really starts. We have about a week before classes begin, which is useful since I don't think any of us have a real handle on what we are supposed to do yet. 

The best (and most humorous) part? I was appointed Fire Warden for the hall and have a fabulous bright yellow emergency vest. Garner is my Deputy Warden (seriously). It had to be given to me because of the alphabet, because I'm sure my skills have nothing to do with it - I can barely lock my door yet! Either way - I'm pretty excited to exercise my new authority, and hopefully I'll be able to share some related pictures with you soon! (I think it's pretty funny and amazing).

That's all for now, love!