Monday, March 31, 2008

Hallo! My Deutsch ist nicht so gut, ja!

Annie and I's trip has turned into more of an adventure than I originally expected. We've done some serious trekking the past few days, in a really great way, of course.

We started in Zurich, and being the banking capital of the world, you wouldn't believe the cost of living. The Swiss franc is about 1 to 1 with the dollar, but prices are way higher. We had a delicious, 7 franc dinner through of sausages and diet coke, so I'm not complaining.

Zurich was freezing, but Luzern (day 2) was absolutely gorgeous - it has a lake via a glacier (crystal clear) and hundreds of swans (who all want to be fed) and is surrounded by the Alps. It was pretty in a whole different way than my other Euro-City favorites.

That night we headed to Basel, to stay with a friend of Anne's from Greentree Church. Lindsey and her roommate (both chemical engineers from MO) were absolute dolls, and I justified splurging on dinner a Lebanese dinner and wine since my bed, internet, and laundry were all free. Trust me, you have not adequately appreciated clean clothes until your jeans no longer fit you. It is a new kind of heaven to slip into clothes that fit and no longer smell of smoke, Euro BO (not mine, promise), and greasy food. I was so happy, it was almost a little silly, but I was too satisfied in my beautiful, clean clothes to judge my emotions.

Thinking about it now still brings a smile to my face. Ahh.

We then jumped on a train to Salzburg - a whooping 7 hour train ride through the Swiss Alps. We were riding the sides of mountains, going through the middle of mountains, and watching the snow come and go on the ground. It was a beautiful ride, and we went through Lichtenstein, so now we can boast of our three country tour.

Then it was time for The Hills Are Alive . . . . Sound of Music tour baby. Tourist central, but wonderful all the same. Absolutely worth the 34 Euro ticket. We're both dying to watch the movie now, and I'm close to buying it on iTunes. But I shouldn't. I'm almost out of hard drive space. Whoops!

Today we landed in Vienna, which is BIG and beautiful. And finally, Rick Steves can guide us around - his Eastern Europe book includes Vienna, and we are renewing our passionate relationship together. I LOVE Rick Steves. Best travel books ever, including his cheese.

We have three nights here (we're staying in the old maid's room in a hotel, what an experience), and we're thinking about a quick day trip to Bratislava (Slovakia).
Internet is still a bit iff, but I'll communicate as best as possible.

Much love.
Auf Weidersahn!



We got to see a bit of Basel the next morning