Saturday, April 5, 2008

HELLO Eastern Europe!

I'm not really sure what I was expecting when I jaunted into Eastern Europe. In Slovakia, the train station was rough - as in, tourist office closed and moved (although we found it quickly), in need of renovation, and some scary noises - we heard someone scream in the bathroom, and decided it was best to hold the call of nature until we found a WC that wasn't down a dark, dark staircase. But once we started walking into the Old Town, it looked just like any other European city - kind of. Some of the buildings still screamed COMMUNISM! But mostly, the only difference between Bratislava and Germany was that I had no idea how to pronounce any of the street names.

Slovakia is still on their own currency (they change to the Euro in 2009) and so stuff still (seemed) mega cheap. We indulged in hot chocolate (under 2 USD) and I bought some handmade handicrafts for souvenirs. My math skills got a work out (quick: what does 450 Slovenian money mean in USD? Uh . . . 15 dollars, I think).

I'm now in Slovenia (after a glorious night in a real hotel in Graz that was above a grocery store - it was heaven. Huge shower, comfortable bed, cheap diet coke, what more could I want?), which is one of the most economically stable countries of the former Yugoslavia. its a neat little city, but there isn't a terrible amount to do. We're planning on two day trips (caves and Lake Bled), and then to veg a little. The prices are more in line with the rest of Europe, but we've found some cheap options. Burke for 1.30? I'm in. (Its like balaclava, but with meat). 5 euro pizzas? Yes m'am.

Plus, our hostel is strange (very very small) but wonderful in many ways (Hi, um, can you tell me where I can do some laundry? This shirt still seems like Austrian fried food and smoke . . . here? for free? I love Slovenia!). Although the bathroom floods with every shower, and there is only one toilet and one shower for 12 people, it hasn't been too big of a problem yet. Funny observation - I realized that my whole room not only speaks English, but is all from the USA. However, if you go next door, you won't understand a word anyone is speaking. Its all Slavic languages. Geographically separation in hostels? Kind of funny, but also a little thoughtful.

Much love.