Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Praha

The next Paris?

I've never encountered as many tourists as I have here in Prague, except perhaps in Paris. This city runs on them, which makes me wonder if anyone actually lives here . . .

Regardless, it's beautiful. Apparently Hitler wanted to base his government here, so he tried his hardest to avoid it getting bombed, which resulted in more original buildings than many of the other places I have visited. He also tried to preserve the Jewish quarter as best as possible, hoping it to eventually be a museum of an "extinct race". So creepy.

The hostel is a bit of a dive (the beds aren't really beds, but more like a cross between a cott and a couch), but its well located and has a big kitchen. John and I have also abandoned our "authentic" food requirements and have had breakfast at a Bagel place (owned by an American, and so much like home they have free refills) every day. Ok, well, we abandoned that rule ages ago (we had McDonalds in Nice, and LOVED Breakfast in America in Paris), but I feel we've fully embraced our homesick cravings at Bohemian Bagel. We've been on the road 4.5 weeks now - I think its allowed.

We canceled our day trip from Prague to Cesky Krumlov, and instead of taken the city at our own, lesisurely (lazy), pace. Awesome. Today is our last day - John went off to a Medieval Art Museum (no thanks for me!) and I'm trying to finish up an assignment for my internship, and then perhaps Thai foot massage? I cannot find a pedicure place for the life of me (you should see my poor, traveling feet), so a foreign foot rub sounds like a great 2nd choice. I'm embracing the exchange rate as much as possible. We fly to Dublin (back to the Euro - boo) tomorrow, and then off to Belfast (hello GBP, no thanks, I never really want to east three meals a day anyway!) a few days later. Then, back to the Cam.

Spring break, flying by. Its really crazy that its April already.
Oh, and I'm looking at flights home. Whippee!