Thursday, January 10, 2008

fly cheap means fly crazy

After an hour-long, bouncy boat ride leaving Venice, we arrived at the airport. I'm not sure if you are well acquainted with low cost airlines, but they basically promise to get you there, with no extra frills, for cheap. You have to pay for any checked baggage, and forget the free peanuts, but I really have no complaints. Faster than trains, anyway (can you even imagine going from Italy to the UK on a train? I love them, but not that much).

The seating is also all up for grabs, so picture this: a couple hundred or so people crowded around the gate, waiting for their boarding letter to be called, and having no desire to move for those who can board before them. From there, you get on a bus, which takes you to the train, and once those doors are open, it is a sprint.

I'm completely serious when I tell you that I saw business women in heels running to get the seat they want on that tiny plane. That made me feel like I needed to run (I wanted to fit in), even though I don't care where I sit. I got approving looks for my row 4 window seat though, so I guess I passed.

We're safe and sound in Oxford now - after an hour-long boat ride, two-hour plane ride, and two-hour bus ride (now just get me a horse, and my diverse transit means will be complete). We'll rest here for a few days with some friends from school, and then head back to Cambridge for the books and things.

Much love.