Monday, January 14, 2008

my bargain wonders

Cambridge students aren't allowed to work during term, probably because they don't (or shouldn't) have the time. This rule has led me to earn money via medical research, which leads to events such as this: I donated my DNA (via saliva) for 10 pounds. That's the easiest $19.50 I've ever made (the exchange rate went down - you can celebrate, if you like. I am!).

I was as excited as only a poor college student living in a crazy-expensive country can be, and spent it all on wonderful things like Kleenex and face wash and hand soap. Beautiful

Lea didn't share my happiness, and told me she would be worried to donate her DNA - what if they cloned me? But really, could the world be any worse with two Kathleen Adams walking around? I think not.

In other money saving news (I'm making you proud, Dad!), the rowers had a back-to-school dinner at Bella Italia when it was half-price night, and by sharing a plate with a friend, I had dinner for 2.75 pounds.

I may be cheap, but England isn't, so I think it evens out.

Rowing starts up immediately. We had ergs this morning at 8:30, and our crew test (2k on the rowing machine) is next week. There aren't enough girls for three crews, meaning that some will be cut. I think I will be fine with whatever occurs - it's nice to be in shape, but it has definitely dropped in temperature here, and I can't imagine that the Cam is very pleasant at 7 AM these days.

Until my camera is replaced, you will have to be content with old photos stolen from other people's Facebook albums. Here's a night shot of us rowing - the building behind us is the boat house we share with Trinity College.