Tuesday, January 8, 2008

where for art thou . . . ?

We went to Verona today, where Romeo and Juliet are "from". You can walk down the street Capello ( = Capulet) and see Juliet's "house", although don't forget she's pretty fictional. I love tourist traps like this, but it was closed for renovation (the curse of the off season).

Otherwise, the city was beautiful and we had great weather. Love graffiti is big here - the walls of Juliet's house is covered in X heart X and love notes, and you can visit the "posso dell' amore" (well of love) where the young-and-in love buy a luggage lock, write their initials on it, and lock it onto this closed up well. We saw locks like these in Florence too, Rick Steves (our travel guide book friend) says its a revived fad.

We also went to a funky wine bar. I am my mother's daughter - at 3 pm I ordered a dessert wine (to the shame of John!). The owner gave me a weird look, but we also woke him up (at 3 pm) so his judgement is nil to me. :)

Tomorrow is our last day here in Italy - we're spending it all in Venice, and then we're back to the UK.

Photos are taking ages to upload, so you'll just have to wait a little longer.

Much love.