Friday, January 25, 2008

One and a half kleenex boxes later - I'm feeling much better. Thanks for the good vibes (and care packages will STILL be accepted!).

Nothing too exciting to report - back to the reading and the writing, and the obsessive drinking of the Diet Coke and the Buttery's blueberry muffins (which are almost as good at Jewell's blueberry scones).

The crew lists for rowing came out last week, and I didn't make either of the crews - but no worries. I wasn't surprised or disappointed. Rowing is a lot of fun, but I'd rather it be an occasional hobby than a full-time activity - which is what it is becoming for the crews (lots more races this term = lots more training). I'm still on the fence about how involved I'll be - right now I'm still training with them (I need my beach body for Greece, you know), but I'm only a sub for the outings - which is fine except that I'll still have to pay the $50 in subs to stay involved, which seems quite pricey considering the amount of time I will actually be in those expensive boats . . . hm. I have a few weeks to decide, so we'll see.

Anna and I went to a debate at the Union last night - This House believes that Britain should keep American close, but Europe closer. It brought up a lot of interesting points about the sovereignty of nations, and England's differing views on the EU. As a member of the EU, Britain is semi governed by an international body and bound by its laws - which was seen as a good thing by some (Europe is the new frontier!) and a bad thing by others (undemocratic! tyranny!). And of course, it wouldn't be a international policy debate without some anti Americanism - apparently the USA lacks the same values as the English - as in we still have the death penalty - and two states can still kill a criminal by firing squad! Oh please - just because its legal, doesn't mean its in practice - it was a completely misleading shot (haha i love puns . . . ). It was interesting, all the same. In my own opinion - I'd keep America closer - the UK is a good mid point between the US and Europe, and we all know that their egos are too large to completely submit to the being "just another member of Europe". Plus - we may be an ocean away, but we smell better than the French.

much love.