Friday, May 2, 2008

Quick update to make you all jealous with my English life . . .

This week, the Union was packed with great speakers and a wonderful debate. Plus, with my mom visiting, and first week of term homework, I was a busy bee.

Monday: Field Marshall, Baron Vincent of Coleshill - former Chairman of the NATO Military Committee spoke at the Union. Union members can RSVP for the dinners they take the speakers to and the Union pays for part of your meal, so I figured this would be a good time to try out the membership perk and pick the guy's brain on NATO policy in the 1990s (if you didn't know, my current internship is with an international affairs journal on their upcoming issue on NATO). Unfortunately, his speech and dinner was pretty dull - the guy was super sweet, but not really willing to give away anything too remarkable as far as career reflections/gossip goes. However, I did make a new friend at the Union, who is just super.

Wednesday: A childhood dream come true. Quentin Blake came to the Union to talk about his latest works in England - he was the illustrator for almost all of the Roald Dahl books, and his work is STILL associated with Dahl, almost 20 years after Dahl's death. Not only is Blake incredibly funny, he is so sweet. I went to this dinner too, and unfortunately was at the other end of the table, so I didn't get any face time with him, but still - I will never have the opportunity to share a table with Quentin Blake again, so I'm not really complaining. Ok, maybe I am a litte. He did some drawings for people at the other end of the table, which made me almost collapse of jealousy into my burger, but I was able to calm myself with the abundance of wine at the table. However he did sign my termcard, so that's something.

Wednesday saw me with three hours sleep as well, as I raced to finish a paper due Thursday morning. It wasn't any fun - working from 12-2AM and then 5:30 - 12 PM, but it was an "outstanding" paper (says my supervisor) so maybe I found my creative timeslot. Shh. Even if I did, I'm not waking up that early again if I can help it.

Then YESTERDAY the Union debated "Is Jordan A Feminist Icon?". Jordan is way trashier Brittany Spears here, but, unlike Spears, doesn't have any talent other than being half naked. She was a "glamour model", which is another way of saying she does topless modeling for The Sun, a British "newspaper". Anyway, she's made tons of money, and has extended her empire into loads of other, non-boob related items such as bed linens and haircare, but the Union debated whether making your success at the pleasure of men makes you a feminist icon because of the extent of your success and self- management, or if feminism deserves more than that (I think the Nos won).

The debate pitted the Editor of the UK Comso Magazine, Catherine Townsend (modern day Sex and the City - type writer), Abi Titmuss (who apparently is REALLY famous now) and Jenni Trent Hughes against the editor of UK Good Housekeeping, 2 student debaters and Edwina Currie - a former MP who had a famous affair with a previous Prime Minister. It was amazing - funny, and at times awkward (esp. when they started taking jabs at one another . . . ), but really top notch. It was a great evening.

I also received news that I'll be returning to Europe - Belgium, in particular, in September. So when I say goodbye in 7 weeks, it won't have to be too sad.

So, in addition to all that excitement, I then got to hang out with my mom for three days! So great! We went to the Roald Dahl museum, had high tea in London, and went punting in Cambridge. So, good start, I'd say, to the last term.