Friday, October 12, 2007

No Crunch

As I was riding to lectures today (past the cows), the wind was blowing and the leaves were falling off the trees. I miss the American fall though - the English trees are pretty, but their leaves give no crunch, and what good is a leaf without the crunch? Especially when I have two big bike wheels on which to seek them out? 

The cows were especially close to the bike path yesterday, and luckily, they didn't mind me riding through. There were also lots of people in the park, making cardboard structures that were still up today. I was interested and intrigued, but not enough to stop my bike.

My bike, by the way, is a lot like my car. The brakes are SO LOUD! I've taken to dropping my feet (a'la age 5) on the ground to stop when I'm around other cyclists. I want to fit in with them, and not draw attention to my loud, squeaky bike. There are so many cyclists here, riding around the city centre during the day, the streets are full of them, and sometimes, we're all riding very closely, and I imagine "This is what being part of a bike gang would be like."

I'm in a bit of a silly mood.

Sadly, one of my bike's pedals has a crack in it. I need to call the Bike Shop and have them repair it, but I'm worried they will make me pay for it. I'm pretty sick of spending money.

Cambridge students, technically, are not allowed to hold jobs during term. There was a fascinating article in one of the independent university newspapers about the strange things some students do for money (mainly - prostitution, stripping and essay writing). The other two aren't my style, but I was interested enough to look into the essay writing - which, to no surprise, is blocked by the university's internet service. However, I have enough of a problem compelling myself to write my own essays, so I imagine that's not the best career choice for me here.

Luckily, Cambridge is full of smart scientists who need subjects. I've signed up for some research studies (all non invasive, don't worry Mom), which pay surprisingly well and require no skill. One starts next week.

In good news, 2 klennex boxes later, I'm almost over my cold (or "Fresher's Flu). You'd be interested to know that England has two Kleenex sizes - normal, and "Mansize" which resemble thinner, softer paper towels. You get more "Mansize" tissues for a cheaper price too, the economics of which are beyond me.

Lastly, there are a lot of things that I miss about home, but one thing I love is the Cambridge Union. I attended the "This House Believes God is Dead" debate last night, which was so entertaining (although I learned that I have to pay more attention to where I sit - I was on the wrong side of the debate, and was behind Simon Blackburn, pronounced atheist. Whoops . . . ).

Much love.