Monday, October 8, 2007



Above: Scavenging for Food.

Lesson Learned: "Open 24 Hours" does not necessarily equal to "Open on Weekends". John and I wasted a bus ticket trying to go grocery shopping on a Sunday, only to find that the Tesco was already closed. To add to our annoyance, we were then heckled by British preteens who were playing in the parking lot. Boo. Thankfully though, Tesco Express WAS still open, and so we still got to eat.

I attended a wonderful lecture today on Rushdie's Midnight's Children. Definitely the best academic hour I've had so far here in England - it was really engaging. Even though I'm not taking a related comp, I think I might continue on with the lecture. I think it would be a nice, politically-charged-literary beam of sunshine in between the versification theories and lit crit lectures and depressive modernist books I'm involved in. (you know . . .)

Lastly, I found Harry Potter cupcake mix in the grocery store today. Neat.