Friday, October 5, 2007

school starts . . . finally


I have to say, it's really nice to be back in classes. We started lectures yesterday and those have been surprisingly crowded, and I learned that if you get there too late, that means you're sitting on the floor. And there are always people sitting on the floor. So far, they have been fairly interesting. The Cambridge system means that we can attend any lectures we like, no matter our major, but I've also discovered that they tend to be relatively spread out across the city. With 5-10 minutes separating one lecture from the next one, it can be near impossible to get to the next one on time. The English only study one topic, so they don't have to travel very far between lecture halls, and don't see this as a problem. I am not yet a speed cycler, so I still do. Lame.

Last night we were introduced to the Homerton Horn - a huge communal cup, full of wine, that everyone is supposed to drink out from to signal the start of the year. And when I say cup, I mean hollowed out bull horn, and when I say wine, I actually mean a delicate mixture of wine and the germs of 300 freshmen and billions of students prior to that. Don't tell the college, but I passed.

Even better than the Horn was our visitor! Brandon made us his last real stop before heading back to Kansas City, and it was really refreshing to see a new, familiar face. Unfortunately, he walked on the grass at King's, and will probably never be allowed back into Cambridge again. The English are odd about their foliage.

Miss you all!! And you should download Gizmo, and talk to me, because I'm getting a tad bit homesick for some more familiar voices. Do you feel guilty yet? Good. Love!