Sunday, November 11, 2007

London!



London is amazing.
Expensive, but amazing.

My mom and I left early Saturday morning, caught a train, and arrived in London by 9:45 AM. I came back tonight (Sunday evening) and she went on to Paris (to return to England Friday).

We saw the London Tower - a medieval fortress turned prison that was used up until WWII. It housed a lot of people who pissed off the royalty, including Anne Boleyn, up until they chopped off her head in the yard. It put a whole new face on the sonnets of Edmund Spenser (who apparently was in love with her). Poor girl.

We concluded the day with a classic pub meal - fish, chips and beer and turned in early to our swanky hotel. It gets dark so early now, we didn't want to wander around too much in the dark.


(Jeannie quote: It's the wrong color!)

I have the most amazing story about today (Sunday). So it's Armistice Day, and there were some memorials around the city that interrupted the bus tour we were on. With the traffic jams, we changed our plans and decided to jump off the buss, walk to Buckingham Palace, and then see Big Bend up close. The plan, however, didn't take into account the fact that people were EVERYWHERE and as a result, we couldn't move along very fast. Long story short - we joined the crowd and SAW THE ROYAL MOTORCADE. Seriously - 

I SAW THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND!

And Camilla. I imagine some more were in those cars, but those were the only two that were sitting on my side of the street that I could see clearly.


(Me at Buckingham Palace - the Australian Gate)


(I promise you - THE QUEEN is in that car!!!)

After that, it didn't really matter what we did - you just cannot top seeing the embodiment of the country in the flesh, you know?

Crazy, crazy adventures.