Thursday, November 22, 2007

thanksgiving in the land we left . . .

Thanksgiving is completely ignored by the English.
They don't really understand the beauty of the holiday.
I told them the wonders of THE Thanksgiving meal, and the Indians and the Pilgrims, and they asked me if I get presents because of Thanksgiving.


Presents?!


Who needs presents when you have turkey, and stuffing, and mashed potatoes, and diet coke, and biscuits . . .

Oh America, I miss thee.

The university lunch (cost: 5 pounds = 10 dollars) was DELICIOUS. Me and John sat with a cute Mormon couple who were studying international law at Cambridge. They were very interesting, and we had a nice meal ... although the pumpkin pie tasted like they forgot the pumpkin. Other than that though, not so bad. They served chocolate mint candies with the tea after lunch. Yum.

Tonight we have another Thanksgiving meal, but here at Homerton - which is good news, considering I jammed my toe yesterday at rowing practice, and it's all swollen and black and blue, and now I walk with a limp and look really, really, really silly. So, its a good thing that I don't have to walk too far now for the rest of the day.

Don't worry Mom, I can move it, so I know it's not broken. And I taped it to another toe, for moral support.

Although it hurts like the Dickens. And dead chickens.

Seriously.

I thought I'd take a picture to show you all, but the photo doesn't give the toe's disgusting look justice. In the photo, it doesn't look half as painful as it really is in real life, and I don't want you to think I'm overreacting. The lighting must be off in my room. So you'll just have to imagine it.

Anyway. Thanksgiving away from home: it could be worse (no Turkey, no tea, no diet coke) but it could definitely be better (have you BEEN to St. Louis? It's wonderful).

However, I'm consoling myself with a Christmas music marathon and tea and a huge box of cookies ... but not too many cookies, because I have another Thanksgiving to eat tonight.